The Castell Mynach
Built in the 1930’s, the name Castell Mynach translates into English as: “The Castle of the Monks”. This refers to what is locally considered to be an old monastery which the pub overlooked.
This was probably a monastic building rather than a monastery and the ruins still stand in the fields across the A4119. Potentially dedicated to St Cawdraf it was demonstrated by the RCAHMW in 1982 to be a medieval courtyard house
Originally a residence which is much older than the pub,, the pub was extended to accommodate the hostelry and the pub restaurant now stands on the grounds of the old stables.