Ivor woods has been in existence since at least the early 1800s, as it is included on maps of that time as a wooded area.
The land was acquired by the Clark family as part of the Talygarn estate.
Wyndham Clark transferred the woods to the Llantrisant District Council in 1923 for use as a public park. Ownership transferred to the Pontyclun Community Council when it was created in 1985
The trees in the centre of the woods are mainly ash and of an age to have been planted around the 1920s. The trees around the edges are much more diverse and in many cases older. They include Beech, Oak and Sycamore trees.
The woods and adjacent river Ely are teaming with wildlife and kingfishers and dippers can regularly be seen flying in the area.
For your own safety please keep to the main paths. Be aware of trip hazards and keep an eye out for falling branches
For more information about the history of the community of Pontyclun please visit our online museum