Y Pant School
It is believed that Y Pant School first opened for start of Easter Term in 1955 (though some say 1956)
There were no books, pens or paper and to occupy the pupils time stones were picked from the running track and they did gardening around the school
In September the first proper intake of form 1 commenced with those pupils who had attended from Easter going into years 2,3,4 etc as relevant for their ages.
Initially there was no school transport with pupils walking to school – and often being late; busses were provided from later that term.
Initial staff included
J B Hill – Headmaster
Nevil Jenkins (Deputy Head – Science)
Miss Thomas (Deputy Head – Welsh)
Brian Smith – PT
Miss Jaynes – Girls PT
Dorian Lusardi – Art
Mr Morgan (nicknamed Chisler) – Woodwork
Miss Maddox – Domestic science
Miss Morgan – Music
Miss Jones – English
Dave Windmill – Grounds man
Mr Henshaw – Caretaker
The original school building included a gym, DT block and boiler house and a science, cookery, languages and art building being built in 1977.
Several Portakabins were added throughout the 1980s – early 2000’s.
A sports hall opened in 1996, the “new block” opened in 2002, the new changing rooms opened in 2006
In 2016, a £24 million new school building was completed and all the original buildings including the 1950s main building and 1970s language block were demolished, with the new block and the school gym being refurbished.
For more information about the history of the community of Pontyclun please visit our online museum