St Anne’s Church, Talygarn
St Ann’s church lies on the south side of Brynsadler.
It was built in 1887 to designs of G.T.Clark of Talygarn House, well-known antiquary and the manager of the Dowlais Ironworks, in memory of his wife Ann Price Clark (d.1885) (details on memorial tablet).
Designed in a generally Perpendicular style with Decorated east window, it consists of three-bay nave with porch, lower and narrower chancel with lean-to vestry against the gable end, and four-square three-stage south tower built against the chancel.
The medieval chapel of Talygarn stands in the churchyard and to the north-east of the church that replaced it. The structure consists of four walls standing full height and the two side walls of a porch on the south side.
At some time three tie-bars have been inserted to hold the south and north walls in place. Inside the walls are plastered. There is no roof but at the west end some tiles remain on the gable end. A late 13th – mid 14th century trefoil headed lancet with good quality ashlar dressings is located in the east wall. The west and north walls have no openings. There are three large segmental headed windows in the south wall.
The church was restored in the 1680’s under the terms of the will of Sir Leoline Jenkins, and the three windows belong to this phase. The chapel was disused in the 19th century when the adjacent church of St. Anne’s was built. The roof of the old church fell in 1926, but is still intact.