Pontyclun War Memorial
The monument is in the form of a Celtic ring cross with tapered shaft on a chamfered, slightly tapered pedestal mounted on a square, tiered base, three steps up.
The cross and all sides of the shaft are covered in interlace decoration except for a memorial panel to the fallen from Pontyclun in both world wars on the front (north) face of the shaft.
The front face of the plinth is inscribed with the names of those who fell in the First World War, and the east face with the dead of the Second World War (‘2nd Great War’).
The unveiling Ceremony for the War Memorial took place on September 3rd 1950.
The design was carried out by Harry Gregory and the setting out by Sid Pollard. Stone was supplied by Turners and a man named Ellis was the lead Sculptor; the interlaced patters were carved by Henry Durrell. The overall cost was £529 17s 6d.
Information about those who are commemorated from the Second World War can be found at this link
Information about those who are commemorated from the First World War can be found at this link
For more information about the history of the community of Pontyclun please visit our online museum