Pontyclun RFC has been part of the fabric of our community since 1887.
On 7th September 1897 Pontyclun RFC applied for membership to the Welsh Rugby Union along with Llandovery, Chepstow and Brecon. They took the WRU membership to 48.
Pontyclun lost their WRU membership in 1900 due to missed subscriptions.
Youth teams were first organised in Pontyclun in the early 1900s being a mix of schoolboys and youths.
Pontyclun RFC re-applied for Welsh Rugby Union membership in 1919 along with Llanharan and Taff’s Well and all three joined on 22 August of that year.
The team first played on a field which is now the site of Ysgol y Pant; until moving to Mill Fields and in due course to Windsor Park.
The roaring twenties were just that for the club with a succession of good teams and Pontyclun providing a stream of talent for first class clubs and a Welsh international – Tommy Rees or Tommy Italy as he was known. The club had a good reputation even holding their own against 1st class sides.
In 1927 the club fixed its now Black and White colours which are still used to this day.
Over the years the changing rooms have included a tin shed, a small pavilion, space at the Windsor and even the loft at a farm (with animals on the ground floor). Shortly after the WW2 the club raised £40 which was used to purchase an old goods depot shed from Llanharry station. The players put it up and some showers and basic electricity was installed. These new changing rooms were nicknamed “The pagoda” and remained in use for over 35 years.
In 1971 the club formed a mini rugby team. Pontyclun, St Albans, Tredegar Ironsides and Aberamman and Cowbridge being the first sides in Wales to play mini rugby.
September 1971 and a match to celebrate the clubs 75th anniversary brought a star-studded Presidents XV full of Welsh internationals lead by Clive Rowlands.
A new clubhouse was built at Windsor Park, and it first opened its doors on 30 March 1980 with the grand opening a few weeks later. The site where the clubhouse is, is close to where Pontyclun’s first cinema was built in 1913, by Studt.
Cliff Jones, the President of Pontyclun RFC became president of the WRU in the 1980/81 season, the first person to be President of a club and the WRU at the same time.
The Club also runs the Pontyclun Falcons which are one of Wales’ longest standing and best ladies’ teams.
For more information about the history of the community of Pontyclun please visit our online museum