Pontyclun Primary School
The first “proper” school in Pontyclun was opened in February 1880 in what became School Street
This was Llantrisant Station National School and taught pupils from age 5-10. In 1893 the Uk wide minimum school leaving age was raised to 11 and 1899 to 12.
The school was never large enough and with leaving ages rising was soon full to capacity. By 1905 attendance was over 300.
A new school was needed and one was approved and placed in Maesyfelin. Unfortunately what was new for Pontyclun did not mean new! It came from Cwmavon, after 8 years there and was made of corrugated iron and lined on the inside with timber boarding. Pontyclun’s “tin school” was here and had 6 classrooms.
By the end of WW1 pressure was growing to have a permanent school in Pontyclun and the first plans were drawn up in May 1919 for a school to accommodate 300 mixed pupils and 150 infants. Cost anticipated was £14875 though the final tender was for nearly £19000 and that was deemed too much so revised plans were drawn up. A final plan was agreed in May 1923 at a cost of £10415 with no excesses to be agreed!
Work was completed on 29 August 1925 and new school formally opened on 31st August 1925. The final cost was £9681 which was well under budget.
This school was for what we consider primary children and whilst land was gifted to the Council for a secondary school – the area by the Park, Rugby pitches and Football club grounds, this was never built on and Pontyclun had to wait a further 30 years for a secondary school at Y Pant.
For more information about the history of the community of Pontyclun please visit our online museum