The Ivor Arms
The Ivor Arms was built in about 1855 by William Morgan of Caergwanaf farm in Miskin (also known as Billy Caergwanaf) The initial house warming was on 12 July 1855
It is belived that the name comes from either the name of the ground landlord at the time of building (Ivor Bertie Guest) or from the fact that the local Ivorites met at the pub. The Ivorites were a philanthropic order who supported te Welsh language arranging Eisteddfodau and also supporting the poor and needy. They conducted their business entirely in Welsh.
There was a history of brewing in Brynsadler – the site of the Ivor was called Brady farm (meaning Brewery farm in English), and in 1840 there was a Malt House Rickyard near to the entrance of Talygarn House ( A Rickyard was used for storing barley or grain. A Malt house was where grain was prepared, usually for brewing)
For more information about the history of the community of Pontyclun please visit our online museum